Murder to Excellence

Here are three fun facts about St. Croix, before I begin!


1. "I'm from the murder capitol, where they murder for capitol" - Ye (interpolating Jay Z)

The murder rate per capita here is around 15x higher than the US average. We are certainly in the top 1% (but in murder, not capitol). Luckily, it's pretty much completely gang related so I should be fine. However, on this island, I am allowed to go into the housing projects, which wasn't allowed in Puerto Rico (and housing projects are typically where gangs are). So, I'm in the belly of the beast.

2. "dropped in a forgotten spot in the carribean" - Burr
"as a kid in the carribean, I wished for a war" - Hamilton
"Alex got better but his mother went quick" - ensemble
Yeah, Hamilton lived on this island and his mother is buried 10 minutes away from where I live now. This is probably why I've felt more desire to write my political opinions and create my own form of goverment in a frenzied state. I won't though, you're welcome. 

3. "AHHHH" - Ye
There are no normal people on this island. Everyone is crazy. But it is great and so far I love it here.

I flew in on a cessna 402c, which is around the size of a Ford Transit 15 seater passenger van, with wings and a lower ceiling. Neither me, nor the other 9 passengers moved a muscle the whole flight.

Last note, especially exciting for all my friends and family out in Seattle/bainbridge area, my new comp, Elder Thompson is from Silverdale! So he's cool, obviously. 

This island is great and wacky and beautiful and so far I'm enjoying it lots.

Quick thought, hopefully it makes you a bit uncomfortable and a bit more desirous to be righteous.

James 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

I met a lotta people that say "yeah, I believe in God and the bible" and they're not doing ANYTHING. Not even trying. Belief is not enough by itself, faith without works is dead, if you believe in God, maybe try following His commandments, ya check? (island slang)

Love yall,
Elder Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yikes

We Major

Junya